Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Food and Flowers


Our night away to Grand Marais included fabulous food (as all visits to Grand Marais do!) and on this night we opted for The Crooked Spoon Cafe. We noticed this spot on our last trip up, but couldn't squeeze it in lest we would not be able to squeeze into our clothes! Our meal began with the most beautiful French Onion Soup topped with puff pastry and gruyere. My entree of pan roasted bone-in chicken breast and buttermilk mashed potatoes was delectable as well. I always find myself coveting whatever my husband orders as he usually orders shellfish of some kind when we're out. I was diagnosed with a shellfish allergy a couple of years ago so I can no longer prepare it at home which I loved to do frequently. He ordered these gorgeous Bronzed Jumbo Sea Scallops with Blood Orange-Coriander Gastrique and Blue Crab and Sweet Pea Risotto that you see above. I could only try a teeny taste of the gastrique as it's the only part of his meal that didn't contain shellfish, but it was heavenly!


Our trip also included lots of beautiful flowers to admire. These white lovelies were seen at the scenic overlook in Silver Bay where we were marveling at the fog covering Lake Superior.


The lupines are in full bloom all along the North Shore and we captured these on the way back along the roadside north of Two Harbors. On our trip up to Grand Marais, these lupines were surrounded by a camera club trying to preserve the all too brief blooming beauties.

No comments:

Post a Comment